Thursday, July 24, 2008

Another day at the Constituent Assembly, Slacking Off

Ok, so the article on the Constituent Assembly, etc will be out tomorrow. I'm holding off until they vote to approve the text tonight.

The Constituent Assembly is located on the top of a tall hill. I got a ride up the hill on a police bus. It got me thinking about how police all over the world seem to have a tendency towards violence and repression. I wondered about to what degree these things can be reformed and to what degree they're intrinsic to what happens when the government gives people guns to enforce laws. Just now, getting to my computer, I noticed this article looking at years of severe abuse and torture, largely of black folks, at the hands of the Chicago police. I myself was once arrested in that city. Not fun.

No comments: